Thoughts/Questions on Book Impact

Thoughts/Questions on Book Impact

So I am listening to episode 3 ‘War of Art’ wherein Joe makes a comment regarding the dynamic effect of reading Book 2 ‘Mindset’ and Book 3 ‘War of Art’ together. That the two of them worked together to conspire new levels of writing consistency. It makes me wonder – since in life, rarely is anything single variable dependent, have you ever given thought on which TWO books to put together for double shot. In other words, what two books – when read/study/applied next to one another, would be greater than if read independently?

Which then leads me into another question: Now that you have so many books under your belt, how much of this has been truly impacting and sustaining since you try to apply? Conversely, what consistently never takes hold, aside from meditation? Anyhow – think this would be an intriguing conversation …

Cheers

This is an interesting question. I would think guess that a book like The One Thing, coupled with a Getting Things Done book, are a potent combination. I.e., The One Thing helps you determine what you should be working on, while the GTD book helps you get it done. Maybe even add a third book on maintaining discipline would make the trio even stronger.

Exactly! In the end, isn’t this the ultimate goal … chaining together the best and most complementary systems for maximal effect? Which combination of things – strategically placed together — yield the highest output for a given individual?

I am reminded of mixed martial arts … it wasn’t that long ago that fighting styles remained in their schools … kung fu, karate, tai-kwon do, hapkido, boxing, etc. Bruce Lee, being an early experimenter of mixed styles. But look now … any MMA fighter has to master multiple schools to have a chance. And while I think no one wouldn’t agree that we already try and do this in the productivity space, I haven’t heard anyone talk in these terms explicitly. As an example, it would be compelling to hear how someone’s formula is ‘the prioritization of the one thing + routine and habit building of atomic habits + the mindset of combating Pressfield’s Resistance’ has yielded the best results. Someone else may be ‘minimalism + GTD + thinking big’. The temptation is to keep adding things until the original keystone ideas are diluted – kind of like mixing a few colors yields interesting results but adding all those colors ends up in that ugly brown every time. That is the essence of my question for the guys – are they seeing the ugly brown from idea overload or are they able to see the really cool colors by keeping boundaries around the really useful stuff.

Cheers!