The Great Mental Models Volume 1: General Thinking Concepts

I read this book a while back and I must admit my first read ended with me thinking the title was the best bit. But then I heard a few podcasts and visited the author’s website Farnam Street and I had a light bulb moment where I thought wow this is really good stuff. So I re-read the book based on my improved understanding and this time I was a lot more impressed as I had better understanding of the contents.

Reading this book and follow-ups into the website and to other books has definitely given me a different and valuable perspective change.

Now for the but, this book is only available as an E-Book. I’m firmly in the E-book camp as I find taking notes and highlighting to be really easy using an E-Book. Especially if you don’t use the Kindle App :face_with_monocle:

Can you summarize the basic models of the book? And how it is practiclly useful?

I so want a physical copy of this…

A lot of the info in the book is freely available in the author’s website here.

For myself I find that Inversion and the Map is not the Territory are the two I find myself coming back to the most.

For Inversion I use it a lot while playing Chess which I came to as an adult. As I learn and expand my understanding which is fairly limited I appreciated this tied in strongly with some of the teaching I hadn’t focused on a strongly in avoiding blunders. There is a great quote in the Inversion section:

Avoiding stupidity is easier than seeking brilliance.

This is so true and I now find that I approach more thing from this mindset. Rather than trying to show that I’m smart I look to avoid stupidity. Which can be surprisingly tough at times :grinning:

The map is not the territory is also a great concept. We are surrounded by maps/models and it is important to realise they don’t reflect reality(territory) perfectly. They are a tool to simplify and provide important information. In the latest episode Mike mentioned he took an enneagram, now any personality test is linking you to a fairly limited number of models so it will give useful information but it won’t be perfect. Also the book The Motive looks like it has a model with two scenarios for leadership so it will struggle to match reality but I would guess that isn’t the purpose of the model it is merely there to highlight the differences at the extremities. Therefore it serves its purpose.

Anyone who uses Excel has to be wary of being overly reliant on the models when they are looking to predict outcomes as reality can be different. I know in my Uni days we used to simplify systems down to second order systems. It made them easier to analyse and was reasonably accurate so for what we wanted to do it was sufficient.

I’ll finish by saying follow the link at the start and you will get a wealth of information,

1 Like

Seems they are waiting for a hard cover copies to come back in stock, then they can be ordered through Amazon, as it currently stands the hard cover copies will only be available in the US.