How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking

How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking

The title says it all: “How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers”. I’m reading it and I think it’s a precious book on how to read, organise and structure your thoughts about what you read and especially how to use and make non evident connections among things you’ve learned. It’s having a profound impact on the way I work (I’m an academic). I wish I had found this book earlier. If Joe and Mike will ever pick this book up for the Bookworm podcast, I’m curious to see what effect this will have on Mike’s MindNode book notes.

For an overview of the system, see https://takesmartnotes.com

Hello Gaby.
You should vote for this book as well as recommending it.
I have started reading the opening chapter online and I think you are on to a good suggestion for the lads.
Mike’s earlier recommendation on MindNode notes is a great idea, but there is not much guidance in what those notes actually should contain. If they were to read this they may be able to improve even on their own fine systems… and share their discoveries with us.
Good choice, I think.

1 Like

I am really intrigued by this one!

1 Like

Thank you, Stephenlowry! I’ve voted for this book, too.

1 Like

Glad to hear that :slightly_smiling_face:

but there is not much guidance in what those notes should actually contain

It’s called the Zettelkasten Method and you’ll have a very good theoretical explanation and implementation example about it in this blog entry (scroll down to the Niklas Luhmann heading).

2 Likes