Great Books that don't suit Bookworm

Great Books that don't suit Bookworm

Title says it all, people must have books they would recommend but they don’t suit the Bookworm format.

I’ll start with The Daily Stoic by Ryan Holiday. Read it last year and reading it again this year. It is the only reason I have the Kindle app on my phone so that it’s the first thing I read every morning. So many great little passages throughout the book.

2 Likes

Ditto. Not planning to re-read it next year, but found great value in doing it last year and this year.

Agreed. I read it for a year when it first came out. I might pick it up again. Kindle is definitely the way to go on that one.

Another one to put on the list would be Art Matters by Neil Gaiman and drawn by Chris Riddell. It’s a motivational book about making things. I don’t know how they would cover it since reading the book is shorter than even the shorter episodes.

Could Mike & Joe read it for us? :wink: (revenue opportunity: release it as an audiobook :grinning: )

There IS a way to get one of us to cover it. More on the next episode. :wink:

1 Like

:eyes:

Refreshing Overcast now. No new episode. Trying again…nopes… it’s going to be a looong few days :rofl:

1 Like

We’re recording it this afternoon. It’ll be public
next week or you can listen live as a premium member. :wink:

I got @joebuhlig to read Art Matters on our trip to MacStock. Not sure if he would record a gap book episode on that. I also got him to listen to Neil Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book on the drive to and from Macstock.

I was mean; he had to listen to an audible book.

The Graveyard Book is one of my personal favourites by Neil Gaiman or Mr Amanda Palmer as Mike might know him. :wink:

That’s why @mikeschmitz doesn’t like fiction! Neil and Amanda!

1 Like

I’m going to recommend I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong. It’s a book about microbes, something that I knew very little about prior to reading this book. The book came out a couple of years ago but it’s my favourite book I’ve read this year to date. I love learning new things and combined with a great writing style it was one of those books where I didn’t want it to end.

A new member to the community. Although, I have been listening to the podcast for a long time. Mike’s rant on Amanda Palmar’s book was hilarious. I remember this because I was running whilst listening to the episode. It was a good run thanks to Mike!

1 Like

For entertaining writing that also educates, I recommend pretty well anything by Mary Roach. I’ve read Stiff, Grunt, and Packing For Mars. Learned a great deal about the body through some unexpected avenues.

For daily reading, I have The Daily Drucker to develop my business acumen and The Intellectual Devotional to better round me out, in general. Certainly neither is intended to be read straight through, but they are excellent for starting off the workday and are thereby part of my morning routine.