From Strength To Strength By Arthur C, Brooks

From Strength To Strength By Arthur C, Brooks

This was a great book about how to shift the mindset around how we identify as performers and learners as we move past the stage of life at which fluid intelligence and growth are more prevalent. The book discusses how to capitalize on the unique strengths that come with wisdom and experience that truly cannot be replaced with “book learning” and training. I think the book would be of special interest to you two because he spends a good portion later in the book talking about spirituality and faith and its importance to a sense of meaning and purpose even to those who have not historically considered themselves spiritual or religious. He isn’t selling a specific “brand,” but rather the value as a whole.

This book is not particularly prescriptive in terms of taking XYZ actions to get the right response but fits more into the bucket of changing your mindset about potential decline as you reach mid-life and beyond. There is a good amount of research mentioned, but not so much that you are choking on the science making it a difficult read. I found this book to be very easy to read and even found myself wanting a little more. Perhaps that means the author provided just enough before interest waned and the book felt stale. The book is over 250 pages, but 50 of those are appendices. The 215ish pages of actual material have wide margins and are relatively widely spaced and are the equivalent to maybe a 180-page read in my estimation.

I think the book in general speaks to many of the themes of self-improvement and productivity (tangentially) that you guys cover a lot on the show. I think it stands apart as a unique view that is not a repeat or polishing of what has been shared in other books you have reviewed.