Develop an exercise habit

Develop an exercise habit

This one comes from reading Atomic Habits.

It’s going to take some research on my part to nail this one down. Having Lyme Disease makes it tricky as I need to guard against overdoing it and creating a scenario where I have to rest all day the next day.

So my first step here is to nail down the type of exercise that’s appropriate for me at this point. And then I can process the next action involved in developing it into a habit.

One thing I took away from this book was you have to have a habit to make it better. So while you’re researching, maybe the 2 minute habit is to put your shoes on and go for a 2 minute walk at the time you think you want to exercise. That way once you figure out what you can do with Lyme Disease you’ve already built the exercise habit to improve.

I really like that concept. I’m doing some research on it yet tonight so I’ll be sure to share what I learn there.

I haven’t listened to the episode yet, but in December I started doing 10 pushups a day, right before going to bed. It only took me a couple of weeks to get to the point where I could actually do 10, but now when I don’t do them I can feel it.

I agree with the 2 minute habit idea: do something small, but regular, and you’ll see progress.

Ok. Did some research last night. Looks like the big point is to take it easy and work into it. But at the same time, these pieces are what I should try to start:

• Yoga
  • Light weight lifting
  • Resistance workouts (push-ups, sit-ups, etc…)
  • Longer walks
  • Cycling

I’m in Minnesota. The cycling ain’t happening for a bit. Though, I know I really like cycling. So that may come in Spring. You know, next July. :laughing:

So for now, I’ll be looking at the resistance workouts and light weight lifting since I can handle both of those at home. The main key is timing. The only real slot I have for this is in the evening after the girls go to bed.

That said, there’s no time like the present. It starts tonight!

A few days ago I did some of the resistance workout pieces. That proved effective. I was definitely sore the next day.

And last night I did my first ever yoga session with my wife. I had no clue what to expect. But I can say that it was a good workout that I’ll definitely be repeating.

Indoor cycling is a good time to read!

Now why did you have to go and say that? **searches cost of Peloton bikes**

Also consider a trainer that works with your bike and Zwift.

I like that it lets me use my bike year round and massively-multiplayer nature of Zwift keeps it from being so boring.

An interesting progression here. My wife and I have been doing yoga about three times a week and that seems to be helping me out quite a bit. I can’t say I ever thought of myself as the yoga type, but here we are.

At the same time, I do know that I really enjoy cycling. I could likely get on board with the indoor thing, but I really don’t feel like buying an indoor machine. Thus:

It hadn’t occurred to me to look at the indoor trainers. So guess what I’m doing now. Thanks, team. I can always count on you to help me spend money. :wink: