Bookworm Software Engineers

Bookworm Software Engineers

Joe often talks about software engineering as a subject, so I was curious to see how many people on the Bookworm forum are actually software engineers by trade. If you’re a software engineer, share what you do and how you do it!

In order to keep it civil, I feel like we should avoid explicit bashing of languages/tools and focus on the ones we really enjoy and are productive with.

Education:

BS in computer science, most of which was taught in C++. I have yet to use C++ for any anything, so in that regard it was probably not useful. On the other hand, you could argue that the general programming skills I gained are useful even to this day.

My degree was worth the money to me mostly from a social perspective. I was an anxious/nervous wreck in high school and college helped me come out of my shell and learn to speak in front of people. Shortly after college I even got my Toastmasters CC!

Favorite language:

Elixir, followed by Kotlin. I’m generally not a fan of the JVM but Kotlin is :ok_hand:.

Work:

Enterprise finance company writing Java (take that Joe :wink:), Kotlin, Go, Dart, and Python. My previous job was all C# and Powershell.

I also run a very small side business which mostly ends up doing WordPress development. Funnily enough my most starred repo on GitHub is: https://github.com/Nezteb/I_Hate_WordPress (an admittedly satirical title)

I used to teach summer programming classes at my university for middle and high schoolers. Those were mostly HTML/CSS/JavaScript, with some Node thrown in at the end. They were reasonably easy to teach and accessible to students without needing to learn a ton of tooling.

2 Likes

I’m a data scientist, so not quite a software engineer, but close enough :wink:

Education

• Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences (majors in pure mathematics and statistics)
  • Research Master’s degree in statistics
  • LinkedIn profile

Languages

• R. I’ve been using it for over seven years, and currently use it both at work and for lots of personal automation, including tasks for which I should probably learn and use a more general-purpose and suitable language.
  • Keen to learn more about HTML, CSS, Javascript, Python and Scala. Had some experience with them, but still very much a novice.

I’m a web developer working mainly with WordPress and memebrship sites. I’m mostly in with PHP but know some JS and CSS. I’m interested in learning Swift as I have an iPad app I want to build, but I just need to find the time for that.

I taught myself 10-years ago and my actual education is as a Counsellor.

I’m also a software engineer, working these days in Swift on iOS apps. My current job is for a video conferencing company, but I’m looking for a new (remote from California) opportunity.

My education was from before the Web existed, so it’s not relevant. :wink:

Before Swift, I worked in Objective-C and before that Perl, for a very long time. There’s nothing quite like Perl for processing large quantities of text and since I worked for a University Library, it was the best choice at the time. In between there was all the expected LAMP+NoSQL server-side stuff.

I’m interested in Bookworm because I really want to free up just a smidge of time to work on my own personal apps. There are so many great ideas about productivity and prioritizing discussed here that I think I might actually get there this year.

I am a chip verification engineer. Means I get paid to test chip designs before they are made so companies don’t blow large amounts of money making a chip that doesn’t do much more than a paperweight. I’ve worked on video game systems PS3 and Xbox 360. I’ve worked on the figher jets F-22 and F-35. Now I am in application engineering. No matter what people say, modern chip design has more to do with software engineering than hardware engineering. Chip design requires an understanding of timing and size of the synthesized design. So, it’s software engineering with more constraints.

Education

I have a Bachelor’s in Computer Engineering. I’ve also had a number of certifications outside the normal school system. Among which, I took Heroic Public Speaking Grad School to help with communication which I think is one of the biggest issues in technology to date.

Favorite Language

I use mostly SystemVerilog and a library on top of that called UVM for my day job. I am learning Python at the moment. I find Python really interesting.

Work

I have two patents in chip development and several white papers on verification. Right now, I am part owner of a small company out of the Bay Area that helps engineers be more productive around the hardware/software interface.

I became interested in Bookworm because I am friends with Joe and Mike. Nice to meet other software engineers.

Like @josh I’m not exactly a software engineer: I’m an application engineer for digital layout (a/k/a “Place and Route”) software, the step where we take a design and physically place the circuits, wire them together, and optimize the result to fix violations (signal timing, electrical behavior) and ensure the design can be manufactured correctly. I’ve worked on the WiiU processor, along with numerous NVidia GPUs, among other things. This work is closer to hardware engineering than other steps in the chip design flow, but it still straddles the line with software engineering.

Education

I have a BS in Electrical Engineering, with concentrations (essentially minors) in Computer Engineering and Communications Systems; my university did not make Computer Engineering a separate degree until after I left.

Languages

I don’t do much outside of work anymore, and our scripting language there is Tcl. I prefer Python, but I’m well out of practice using it.

I’m here because @josh pointed me to the podcast. We actually share 2 previous employers, but didn’t meet until the 2nd one (I’m still there).

In the famous words of Bruce Willis,

Glad you could join us Kristian. :smiley: