98: The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna

98: The Crossroads of Should and Must by Elle Luna

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/98/

Do you view your work as a job, a career, or a calling? Today’s author argues that the most life-affirming thing you can do is to honor the voice inside that says your have something special to give, and encourages us all to heed the call and act. Join Joe & Mike as they explore…

I’m behind on listening due to Covid, because I’m just not in the car as much any more. But when I turned on this episode yesterday as I ran to the grocery store, it made me happy just to listen to the opening banter.

And I have a question about the action item (from the previous episode, reviewed in this one) about not googling something in the middle of the conversation. Sure, I get that you don’t want to derail the conversation but so often it really adds to it.

Pre-google, we carried around a big, red dictionary in the car to reference during conversations. Dictionaries have a lot more than just definitions – you’d be surprised how often we wanted to check the population of a country or figure out a metric/standard conversion. (Maybe we were just nerds.)

When listening to this episode and thinking about the question, if I live my live according to my musts, a bit of an existential question came to my mind:

What if there is no must?

This is not necessarily meant in a pessimistic way. Maybe the solution is to convert the things you already do into a must. Is this something that’s covered in the book?