95: Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday

95: Stillness is the Key by Ryan Holiday

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/95/

More than ever, people are overwhelmed. Today’s author argues that what we really need is stillness – the ability to be steady while the world spins around you. Join Joe & Mike on their own journeys to achieve self-mastery, discipline, and focus. Links Support the Show Mike’s Hybrid Bullet Journal System Drafts Roam Research MindNode…

That’s the fourth Ryan Holiday book I’ve read and enjoyed them all. Though I did find myself in a rather unique position where having finished the book and as I said really enjoyed it I did think that the book could have been half it’s size quite easily and still covered all the main points. I think this mainly was due to the stories/examples used to highlight points being longer than the point in a few chapters.

But Ryan is a very readable author and I think that really counts. It’s why Malcolm Gladwell book’s are so enjoyable as well, they just write in an engaging way that keeps you reading.

@mikeschmitz: I enjoyed this episode, and I am currently listening the audiobook. I also like the idea of a hybrid system - with an analog journal + digital tools (like Omnifocus, Fantastical, etc.). I’m seriously considering pulling the plug on the Ugmonk Discbound Heirloom Journal per your recommendation on the Sweet Setup. After using it for however long, do you have any regrets, given how expensive it is? Thanks much!

No regrets, other than it is expensive so I find myself worrying about it a little bit (i.e. can’t just leave it out in the kitchen because someone might spill something on it). I do use custom paper because I’m a huge paper snob, but the stock paper is still pretty good (99.9% of people would be more than happy with it). If you’re not careful with the leather, the cover could get messed up. Otherwise, it’s awesome!

1 Like

Thanks! I made the purchase.