94: Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg

94: Tiny Habits by BJ Fogg

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/94/

When it comes to change, tiny is mighty. Today’s author (who also happens to be the world’s leading expert on habit formation) shows us how we can have a happier, healthier life: by starting small. Join Joe & Mike as they dive back down the habits rabbit hole and examine how these little changes lead…

1 Like

Hi @mikeschmitz, I have a tip regarding Roam Research. The developers of Dynalist have made an app called Obsidian, which has identical features to Roam and is also built with Zettelkasten users in mind. But it has a much friendlier pricing model and stores your notes locally instead of locking them in the cloud of the developer. I’ve been playing around with it ever since I’ve been on the Roam waiting list, it’s an awesome app that has made me lose interest in Roam completely. @curtismchale made some good videos about it.

Thanks for plugging my videos. I did have the same thought after the last episode. Roam has some vendor lock in and as soon as you switch your system, if you loose any connections, the worth of so much of your data is suddenly gone.

Obsidian has also made me not care about ever getting into Roam.

1 Like

Thanks @frankn12 & @curtismchale (great job on the videos BTW) for the Obsidian recommendation. There is a lot to like about that app, but for me Roam’s ability to link to specific blocks (not headers) puts it over the top for now. Definitely see the appeal of having all your files, and pricing sounds like it will be much more affordable. Plus, IMHO, it looks way better.

I’m still cautiously embracing Roam Research. But I’m willing to admit I chose the wrong app to back and would prefer to figure that out sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Might have to give Obsidian a go, seeing as it has a Linux App. Have used Onenote for quite a while as I use that at work but in reality there is no real linkage between my Personal and Work Onenote books. So something new would be interesting and may provide benefits that I won’t get with Onenote.

Excellent episode on one of the best books I’ve read this year. Now I’ll go and prepare to re-read Triggers which is still one of my favourite books. Though I did just buy Stillness is the Key while typing so that may come first :grinning:.

So I just happened to pick this up a few weeks back and finished it over the weekend. I completely agree with the 5 star-rating (and did prefer this over Atomic Habits). In terms of Action Items, I actually have some.

1. Meditate for 10 minutes/day. My health insurance provided a full year of Calm membership when Covid kicked in, so the timing is hard to beat.
  2. Exercise. No rules for how much or how little, could be a bike ride with my daughter, or a walk around the block, or a hike in the hills.
  3. Do one Duolingo lesson per day.
  4. Read. Again, no min or max, though one chapter/day always feels like a nice clean break.

I’m tracking all of these via an analog tracker in my (not really) Bullet Journal, though some of these also end up getting tracked in various digital apps (Apple Health app, Goodreads). I still like having the visual dashboard of how I’m doing.

Will you be uploading your Book Notes for Tiny Habits?

Whoops, sorry! They’re up now.

1 Like

Ask and ye shall receive…

Thank you.