92: The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll

92: The Bullet Journal Method by Ryder Carroll

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/92/

Can pen & paper really cut it as a task manager in today’s fast-paced world? Today’s author makes a compelling argument that it can. Join Joe & Mike as they take a look at The Bullet Journal Method, and see if it’s enough to get these digital natives to get their heads out of their…

I tried this a few years ago and failed miserably. I always wanted to make sure I couldn’t lose the notebook and be, well, screwed. I am trying it again now. Thanks to the episode I actually (and finally) bought the book and am reading it now. I think without actually reading the book it is difficult to fully appreciate the actual practice this requires. And understand the reason behind the practice. So I am giving this another chance.

BTW, Leuchturm is German for Lighthouse…

1 Like

I covered this in another thread not that long ago, but it’s all about my BuJo method, which is…not so very BuJo anymore.

My method is fairly close to what you’re describing: a Bullet Journal (sort of) for logging what I did today, and a separate calendar/task list for what I need to do.

I tried doing more with my BuJo, but like you, I found that calendaring in the journal was too cumbersome (especially with Outlook for work and multiple subscribed calendars for my kids’ activities (sports and Scouts). I also gradually found that task tracking on paper was just not working for me: too many of my tasks come via email, and I need that link from task->email to close the loop.

In summary, my current process consists of online calendar, Todoist for task management, and the BuJo for a quick list of what I did today (and my detailed client meeting notes, can’t beat pen and paper for reinforcing the memory of these). It’s an…interesting…hybrid approach that works well for me. YMMV.

This was a great episode. I enjoyed listening to your perspective on Bullet Journaling, and I’m giving it a shot.

The Kindle version of the book is on sale today (May 6, 2020) for $3.

I swear I have listened to this one podcast at least 5 times and I get something new out of it each time. So glad you are both liking it and gave it such good reviews. Well done guys . . .

2 Likes