75: Getting Results the Agile Way by J.D. Meier

75: Getting Results the Agile Way by J.D. Meier

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/75/

Lots of books teach systems to help you achieve more, but the problem is that they are usually very strict and rigid. Today’s book promises to deliver a simple system that is flexible and adaptable so you can change course as needed without sacrificing meaningful results. Links – Support the show – Relay FM Family…

1 Like

I’m glad you guys had as much trouble as I did with this one. I was starting to feel bad I didn’t finish it!

I was interested on the discussion on yearly goals. Ever the contrarian :smile: I would have to disagree with the viewpoint in the podcast the yearly goals are potentially not of value. To me the issue of goals is aligned with feedback. If you don’t review and have feedback often enough to course correct then any goal is worthless.

However on yearly and even longer time frame goals I think there is a lot of value in setting goals and then aligning objectives/milestones with achieving that goal. To use the language learning goal that Mike discussed as an example:

The yearly goal could be to have a vocabulary of 2000 words (this may be unrealistic I don’t know).

It would then seem logical to set quarterly (or 12 week objectives :slight_smile: ) to learn fully the 500 words.

Which then breaks down into four weekly goals of 166.67 words (should have done the arithmetic before starting this post)

You would then review on a monthly and quarterly (12 weekly basis) the progress against the objective and hence goal. It is through this feedback that you will keep on track. I think its the frequency of feedback and not the time frame of the goal that is of importance.

This allows for more coherence and consistency against long term goals.

Also as part of said periodic reviews it would seem sensible to also assess the long term goals to identify if these are still consistent with where you want to be in the long term. If not then you can change your long term goals and objectives accordingly. Though being mindful that changing long term goals too frequently will mean you will be butterflying and despite being very busy won’t be achieving anything at a ‘strategical’ level.

Anyway apologies to everyone for this rather long winded post. But one of the interesting or mad things I do while listening to the podcast is have this type of discussion in my head while listening. Which does mean I’m not Deep Listening as Mr Trimboli would say (another excellent book) so apologies for not listening fully as well :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I was running and listening to this as you talked about Time and just saying out loud that you don’t make time, then I heard my name and started laughing.

Yeah the lists of lists got overwhelming when I read this as well. Not one of my favourite books.

1 Like