71: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

71: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/71/

For many writers, few things are as intimidating as staring at a blank page – but it doesn’t have to be this way. If you’re looking for some solid writing advice, today’s book is for you. Join Joe & Mike as they confront perfectionism, shine the light on the monsters within, learn to quiet the…

Interested in this as I’ve been reading On Writing for a couple of months now. Which makes me realise I should try and stop butterflying as much with books.

I know you recommended reading this before On Writing Joe but does it cover anything different that makes it worth reading?

Two books I thought of when listening to this were Messy by Tim Hartford which has the following blurb on the Amazon page…

‘Ranging expertly across business, politics and the arts, Tim Harford makes a compelling case for the creative benefits of disorganization, improvisation and confusion. His liberating message: you’ll be more successful if you stop struggling so hard to plan or control your success. Messy is a deeply researched, endlessly eye-opening adventure in the life-changing magic of not tidying up’ Oliver Burkeman’

This book has been on my wish list since it came out as I’ve enjoyed his other books, but I’m a bit scared to read this as a reformed messy person myself. Currently at nearly five years with my own personal clean desk policy at work.

The other book was Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller which contains some fascinating insights into connecting with your customers and growing your business. Heard him on a podcast just after the launch and he had me hooked so he knows what to do :slight_smile:

Tim Ferris :expressionless: Though I am enjoying Tribe of Mentors, but it’s very much like the best bits from the podcast interviews. In fact it really is the same series of podcast style questions to lots of famous and not so famous people. But it’s a far more enjoyable read than the book that’s on the list. I also got it for cheap on a Kindle sale which always makes me happy.

Y’all talked about being encouraged by Bird by Bird to notice and record the details of life.

It reminded me of memoirist Marion Roach Smith who talks about noticing moments of transcendence and reflecting, “What just happened there?”

" What frequently happens to me is that some odd aspect of an encounter amuses or disturbs me, and when I’m in my car or walking home, I’ll jot down one image, or piece of conversation, which I’ll start to think about, and worry like a set of prayer beads. What was that I just saw , I’ll ask myself. What just happened there? Like those after-bubbles from a camera flash, they’ll stick around only so long, so I write them down, having learned that what at first might seem tangential, frequently expands upon consideration.

In a similar way, a few weeks ago missionary to France Chris Brock was speaking at Christ Church Arlington and as he emphasized God’s mercy he encouraged us that God is working all around us – if we are just looking for it.

For me those two ideas. . . What is God doing around me? What just happened there? have converged for me and been my evening journal prompt.

They are very different in writing style. King likes to take you on journeys with stories. Lamott wants to share information with stories mixed in. Some of the points are identical, but the approach of each author is very unique.

We really need to cover this one some time, @mikeschmitz.

I think the piece that has really struck me about the last couple book is that we frequently let things go by without noticing them. Or we become so accustomed to routines that we fail to miss the beauty we drive by every day.

1 Like