69: Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

69: Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/69/

It can be difficult to measure, but the topic of emotional intelligence is a worthwhile study for anyone with a desire to reach their full potential. In today’s episode, Joe & Mike take a deep look at a different way to be smart. Links – Support the show – Macstock (use code FOCUSED to save…

Just listened to this episode - thanks so much! It was on my to-read list, but - thanks to your episode - I think I’ll remove it. Sometimes a summary can be enough to get the gist, and that can be good enough :smiley:.

After all, as I read in Lit: A Christian Guide to Reading Books by Tony Reinke, if we read one book per week for 50 years, we’ll read 2600 books! This may seem like a lot, but it’s really quite minuscule compared to the total number of books in publication - so we need to be selective!

1 Like

So. . . Related to the discussion during the episode on introvert / extrovert emotional intelligence, I have a couple of rabbit trails and wonder whether your experience is similar. . .

Hubby and I have joked for years that we are introverts with strong social skills. . . or introverts who genuinely like people. We are still peopled-out at the end of the day. We’ve also noticed that others (and even ourselves when younger) have mistaken us for extroverts. I don’t think either of us are masking our introversion, but we function well.

Interestingly, I’ve found that when I’m on my “own turf” it is easier to function around people for extended periods of time. I am totally comfortable with public speaking behind a lectern. It’s my turf, even if there are hundreds of people. But being at a large conference as an audience member wipes me out. Similarly, I would MUCH rather have someone as a guest in my home (again, my own turf) rather than being a guest in someone else’s home. Even though more work goes in to hosting, it requires less people-energy (and easier to retreat for a few minutes if needed.)

Great episode. Always wanted to read this book and develop my empathy as well as handle my emotions more intelligently. This is the kind of book that makes it perfect for Bookworm because now I don’t have to read it :smile:

If there’s any “criticism” I have it’s about the divorce rate. 50-100 years ago, women did not have enough rights (legal or social) to get out of abusive marriages. Unlike now, many aspects of abusive relationships (with either spouse being the abusive one) were not taken seriously either by society or the courts. And in general, divorce has become less taboo. Many people stayed in bad marriages because they didn’t want to shake things up, or couldn’t be independent without a spouse.

I’m sure emotional intelligent or lack thereof plays a part in the high divorce rate - a lot of divorces I know of happened because of that, but I’m always skeptical of interpretations of data which paint the recent past as “better”. I mean, less than 50 years ago talking about your emotions as a man was considered taboo. We definitely knew less about emotional intelligence back then!

All valid points! Thanks for the feedback. I just know that I don’t want my marriage to end in divorce and I need EQ to make sure that doesn’t happen! :crazy_face: