63: Atomic Habits by James Clear

63: Atomic Habits by James Clear

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/63/

Can small habits really transform your life and deliver amazing results? Author James Clear believes they can. In today’s episode, Joe and Mike revisit a familiar topic to tackle one of Bookworm’s most requested books and see if it lives up to the hype. Links – Bookworm sweatshirt – 10% Happier w/ Gary Vaynerchuk –…

1 Like
Develop a journaling habit
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Develop an exercise habit

Following on from the discussion on tracking habits Marshall’s book Triggers (I’m not on commission) discusses at length asking active questions on a daily basis and scoring yourself out of ten on the questions you pick. I always thought this was a much better approach than the just the don’t break the chain methodology that most habit trackers utilise. There’s even an IOS app that ties in with this. Though having not owned anything Apple since my iPod Classic I don’t know how good the app is.

Currently reading Atomic Habits and re-reading Triggers and both are excellent books that do have a lot in common.

2 Likes

Just catching up on this episode and once again you guys have done a fine job in reviewing the book.

I had read the book a while back but I am now going to reread it and try to grab some “action points”

There were many points in the book that gave me pause for thought. One was around the whole idea of goals and systems.

“You do not rise to the level of your goals. You fall to the level of your systems.”

I have always believed there is too much emphasis on goal setting especially in the corporate environment. Goals and targets are not designed to help you grow in the workplace but more of a way to justify how the goodies are shared out at the end of the year.

I’ve just finished Atomic Habits and no doubt is a nice, fully packed, practical book that I have no issue in recommend my friends reading.

Having said that…

Right after finishing it, by chance, I picked up on a book “Think Small” which I thought would complement James Clear’s book. It’s a short book very easy to read too.

What I found most amazing was that a lot of what’s written in this book is very similar to what Atomic Habits talk about, same examples and same concepts.This has been written a year earlier though.

I’d like to know if anyone bumped into this book and thought it overlaps rather complement Atomic Habits.

PS - I prefer Atomic Habits style

I had not heard of Think Small before. To your point though, none of this stuff is new - it’s all a remix. But IMHO that doesn’t make a book like Atomic Habits any less valuable. I often get “a-ha!” moments by hearing someone describe a familiar concept in a new and interesting way.

Keep going, keep growing!

Hi @mikeschmitz,

I was just curious whether others have contrasted the 2 books.

And I think you phrased it much better! :grinning: It’s indeed a remix. And this book is super valuable even for helping strengthening one’s current habits. There are few books I re-read and this is going to be on that list for sure. Also I really enjoyed the simple and straightforward way that James Clear uses to explain the concepts. :+1: