49: Peak by Anders Ericsson

49: Peak by Anders Ericsson

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/49/

What does it take to become the best? And what do the world’s greatest do that puts them at the top? And how does that translate into our day to day lives? DBX 286s Shure Beta 87a Heil PR40 Behringer 1204USB Macstock Peak by Anders Ericsson Bookworm on Deep Work Bookworm on The Art of…

25: Grit by Angela Duckworth

Two thoughts…

1. One of y’all mentioned wanting to develop rituals related to mental models. I’d love to hear you flesh that out.

2. Teach your kids chess. Seriously. You’ll be amazed at how quickly their skills develop and playing with them becomes a real challenge.

One year our kids’ “big” Christmas present was a nice chess set with child-friendly pieces and the book The Story of Chess by Horacio Cardo.

I’ve been passively teaching my kids to play chess. They know how to move the pieces, but that’s about it. We have a couple of boards around and I occasionally will teach them something, but I try not to push them to learn it… maybe I should!

My daughter, ten years old, gets piano lessons. She likes the teacher and the lesson itself. But she doesn’t practice. I tried to explain to her that without practice it’s difficult to get better. After reading Peak I tried to push her a little bit more. It’s a delicate balance. I do not want to take away her pleasure, but I know that if she gets better she will like it even more. Now I am trying to develop a practicing habit. We are looking for a moment in the day when it’s best to sit behind the keys. Also, I try to practice in a different way. Deliberate practice. Telling a ten-year-old all these things requires some tact. The thing is that practicing outside your comfort zone isn’t a lot of fun. I hope explaining it will help her and still preserve her pleasure in playing the piano.

My five-year-old is in piano lessons right now. And I see the same thing with her. She finds it fun to practice most of the time but doesn’t understand the concept of keeping at it until you improve. So we’ve embarked on praise for the work put into the process as opposed to the end result.

So far, it seems to be helping… a little. But then again, she’s five. :man_shrugging: