43: Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

43: Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Mike and Joe have mentioned Mihaly way too often. So it’s about time they covered his book and discussed it directly. Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill Macstock Joe’s book template: Originally published: Version read: Why read it? What is the book about as a whole? What is being said in detail, and how? […]

Read more…

“The best moments in our lives are not the passive, receptive, relaxing times… The best moments usually occur if a person’s body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile.”

– Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
(Here’s a fun trick to remember his name: “Me high? Cheeks send me high!”)

Through this book, it became clear to me again that uninterrupted concentration is very important. I work from home and with two daughters that is not always possible. That is why I went to Amsterdam to look for alternative places to work concentrated for several hours in a row so that I can get into the flow. Well, those places exist. If I can also resist the temptation to watch the news and other things on the iPhone in between, the time is truly uninterrupted. I have already deleted my mail from my phone, a huge step in the right direction.

I’m with you. I have three girls at home and I’m now exploring an office outside the house. It’s just too easy for a kid or my wife to walk in and completely throw off my train of thought.