39: The 4 Disciplines of Execution by Chris McChesney, Jim Huling, Sean Covey

39: The 4 Disciplines of Execution by Chris McChesney, Jim Huling, Sean Covey

This round we learn why Mike doesn’t care for this book. Joe picked it only because it’s been popular and it was a listener recommendation. But that doesn’t affect their ratings at all. Shoeless Joe Jackson The 4 Disciplines of Execution by Sean Covey The Productivity Guild The Innovator’s Dilemma Bookworm Episode Asian Efficiency The […]

Read more…

I was surprised that you didn’t mention 12 Week Year when reviewing this book; in my head 4DX is like 12 week year for teams and organisations (sans the emphasis on the 12 week timeframe). They are very similar conceptually and even use some of the same nomenclature. Perhaps that’s why you didn’t find anything new here to implement?

WIGS → 12 week goals
Act on the the lead measures → set Tactics for each goal
Keep a compelling scoreboard → Keep score, including lead and lag measures
Create a cadence of accountability / WIG meetings → score your execution and meet with others in a Weekly Accountability Meeting

12WY is more generalisable to individuals and other situations, while 4DX would be easier to implement in an organisation because its more streamlined/condensed.

I also thought the same when reading this book (or rather, the first section, because everything else was not applicable to me).

Good show though. @bobbleheadjoe was not as fired up as I expected (this wasn’t on the level of The Art of Asking :wink:), but he definitely has a valid opinion that I share.

Valid point. I think it’s the lack of a timeframe in 4DX that makes it somewhat different than 12WY and is potentially the reason it didn’t register for me.

But now that you’ve spelled out the connections between the two, I can see how you get there.