14: The 12 Week Year by Brian Moran, Michael Lennington

14: The 12 Week Year by Brian Moran, Michael Lennington

If you’re looking for a way to set goals and achieve a year’s worth of work in 12 weeks, then The 12 Week Year is an excellent choice and structure to try.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://joebuhlig.com/14-the-12-week-year-by-brian-moran-michael-lennington/

The 12 Week Year is looking like a great complementary book to GTD. While GTD focuses on the “lower” Horizons of Focus (tasks, projects, areas of responsibilities), this books looks like a great way to figure out how to tackle the higher Horizons and link it to the lower Horizons.

I feel like I’ve learned how to handle the runway tasks, projects, and areas of responsibilities now. It’s time to take the next step up to closer align these lower Horizons with my goals and dreams. I’ve partially implemented some higher level stuff but I’m looking forward to figure out how to slowly fit this into my current workflow. I’ve done the first read and will need to do a few more reads to get a better handle.

That was my initial reaction! I finished the book and was immediately struck by how well it integrated into the higher Horizons of GTD. And after trying it for a few months, it seems to work really well. You’ll have to let me know how it works for you.

Just read the book and prepared a 12-week year plan, starting on June 1, 2018. I have made a vision, 5 years from now, formulated 3 goals that I want to achieve at the end of August. Everything is in one document. I’m excited. The book is inspiring and I feel like it, now that I am still in the ignorant positive mode. I do not look forward to the informed pessimistic period, but I am determined to bite through it. I was wondering if I can use OmniFocus for this system. Perhaps Joe, as Mr. Omnifocus, can say something about that. Thanks a lot.

@Justus don’t get discouraged! I have not met a single person who hit their first 12WY goals, but once you figure out how to make it work for you it’s really powerful.

I’ve since moved on to a paper system, but I did try using the 12WY method in OmniFocus for a while. I would create a project for the three month period and create tasks in it that linked to other projects for the individual goals I had given myself. That’s it. Keep it simple. :wink:

You can try to use OmniFocus but I would plan this in pen and paper first. Whenever I’m trying something new, I always try to do it with pen and paper on my first go. This gives me time to adopt the 12WY routines. After a few months, I can try to adopt it to OmniFocus.

Going headfirst and trying to combine 12WY and OmniFocus might be asking a lot out of you.