103: How to Be Everything by Emilie Wapnick

103: How to Be Everything by Emilie Wapnick

Episode found at: https://bookworm.fm/103/

If you dread answering the question “what do you do?” because you have trouble picking just one thing, you could be a multipotentialite. And you’re not alone. Today’s author says there’s nothing wrong with you if you too have difficulty picking one thing and sticking with it. Join Joe & Mike on their own multipotentialite…

1 Like

We used to joke that my husband knew everything you couldn’t get a job with… And then he found that job. He works as a foreign service officer. It works with feeding his multipotentialite tendencies – and his adhd. We move every 2-3 years and his job completely changes, while at the same time having career continuity.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for you guys to cover this one!! I read this (and other multipotentialism books) after Jay mentioned it on Focused. Not only do I identify with multipotentialites, but I immediately realized the moniker applied to a lot of the people I listen to on podcasts, and to a handful of people in my own life. I’m still on the multipotentialite-productivity journey though.

It’s been a rough journey, because I keep falling for the “one thing” fallacy, too. I think, I should just go all in on one thing and I’ll be happy, and then I burn myself out and I’m useless for weeks.

I would say I’m probably an Einstein right now. Web development by day, writing, cooking, baking, growing my own food, athletics, sewing, knitting, crochet, genealogy, and anything else that interests me by night.

1 Like

And I thought I had a lot of interests! :bowing_man:

1 Like

I know :see_no_evil: I think a lot of them overlap like gardening and cooking/baking, and then the crafty bits are all similar, so I don’t think it’s actually as bad as I made it seem.

I can’t remember now, but did you guys actually say your number of interests? I consider mine to hover around 6/7 with the overlap.

I have about 5 or 6 on my end. I don’t remember how many @mikeschmitz had.